Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Mokpo

I took the opportunity to go down to Mokpo on the South West coast this weekend. I've never been in that part of the country so I was eager to see what was there. Korea happened to be hosting their first-ever F1 grand prix race, so the small town had a really buzzing atmosphere. Unfortunately, because it took so long (5 hours on the train) to get down there, I didn't end up with enough time to take a ferry to the neighbouring islands, which was what I actually wanted to do!

I did get to climb Yudalsan, a little peak near the harbour which has stunning views of the ocean dotted with many smaller islands. The overcast weather unfortunately prevented me from seeing the proclaimed sunset over the ocean.


This area is also famous for being one of the posts of Admiral Yi Sun Shin - my favorite Korean hero. So I was pleased to see his statue there too.






The harbour at sunset


Heading out to the pre-F1 night street festival



On Sunday it poured with rain, so I couldn't do much before catching my 1:30 train...I did go into the Natural History Museum, which although fun, has nothing on the one I went to in Oxford!

No comments:

Post a Comment